Examples of sarcolemma in the following topics:
- It is the link (transduction) between the action potential generated in the sarcolemma and the start of a muscle contraction .
- The area of the sarcolemma on the muscle fiber that interacts with the neuron is called the motor-end plate.
- The motor end plate possesses junctional folds: folds in the sarcolemma that create a large surface area for the neurotransmitter to bind to receptors.
- The depolarization then spreads along the sarcolemma and down the T tubules, creating an action potential.
- The sarcolemma of myocytes contains numerous invaginations
(pits) called transverse tubules which are usually perpendicular to the length
of the myocyte.
- Myofibrils run parallel to the myocyte and typically run for its entire length, attaching to the sarcolemma at either end.
- A skeletal muscle cell is surrounded by a plasma membrane called the sarcolemma with a cytoplasm called the sarcoplasm.