Skip Main Navigation

How can I expedite my travel and work permits?

Jun 30, 2021

How can I expedite my travel and work permits?

There’s no application form for expedited requests. It’s done by phone, letter or appointment with an officer in person.

Applicants can either call the USCIS customer service number, write a letter and file it with the service center/field office handling their case, or make an infopass appointment at

Expedite requests can always be made, but the decisions are completely discretionary and most requests to expedite EAD combo card will be denied. The applicant would have to demonstrate a strong basis to warrant an expedited decision on their work permit application- there’s a narrow list and it’s not easy to fall into one of these categories.

Want to sign up for our weekly newsletter covering all things immigration?

Enter your email below.

Reasons include: emergency situation, severe financial loss to company or person, humanitarian reasons, USCIS errors, national interest situation.

When applicants send in their expedite request and documents, they send them to the Chicago Lockbox – that is where their initial application was filed. The address depends on which mail service they use. I’ve listed both below:

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):


PO Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:


Attn: FBAS

131 South Dearborn – 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517

When an applicant submits the request, they typically make sure they include their full name, contact information, their A number, and the Forms I-131 and/or Form I-765 along with the I-485 receipt notices. The applicant clearly marks the letter with the words “EXPEDITE REQUEST.” Additionally, they include copies of their receipt notices for each of those applications with the expedite request, to show which application they are requesting expedite for (I-131/I-765), and that the advance parole/work authorization is tied to the adjustment of status application (the I-485).

Applicants make sure they keep a copy for their records, and get a tracking number from the post office or courier so they can make sure their request was received.

Boundless — for people who want the expertise
of an immigration lawyer, not the price tag.