Skip Main Navigation

How do I prove a valid entry if I lost the passport that had my original visa?

May 5, 2021

Boundless Ask an Immigration Attorney

What if I lost the passport that had my original visa, how do I prove a valid entry?

If the spouse seeking a green card no longer has their prior passport with their original U.S. visa, their I-94 travel record should be sufficient. Learn more here about how to get a copy of a lost I-94 travel record. If the spouse seeking a green card is undocumented and entered with a valid visa before 2013, they typically need to request a paper I-94.

Want to sign up for our weekly newsletter covering all things immigration?

Enter your email below.

What is a police clearance certificate, and who needs one?

A police clearance certificate is a document that shows a person’s criminal record, if any. It typically lists any arrests, the reasons for the arrests, and the outcome of the arrests. Spouses applying for a marriage-based green card from outside the United States must submit a police clearance certificate from countries they have lived in previously, even if they have no criminal record in those countries. We’ve put together this comprehensive guide about how and where to obtain a police clearance certificate.

Do you have an immigration question? Boundless can help! Our Ask An Attorney program gives you consultations with a vetted immigration attorney, for just $79. Get started today!

Boundless — for people who want the expertise
of an immigration lawyer, not the price tag.