What if I get a new job after I submit my green card application?

Independent attorneys in the Boundless network answer common U.S. immigration questions

Mar 10, 2021

Boundless Ask an Immigration Attorney

What if I get a new job after I submit my green card application?

The green card applicant typically would bring a new verification of employment letter and new pay stubs to the marriage green card interview. They do not generally have to update their submitted application.

If the sponsoring spouse is unemployed, they typically do need to bring documents for a joint sponsor to the marriage green card interview, since they no longer qualify to support their spouse.

If I move and update my address with USCIS, will this delay any of the processing times?

Usually not, but if the applicant moves to a new USCIS field office jurisdiction (such as to a different state), they will be subject to that field office’s processing times, which could be longer (but sometimes shorter, too). In general, changing addresses within the same field office region won’t affect processing times. Forgetting to update USCIS when an address changes will, however, cause delays.

Do you have an immigration question? Boundless can help! Our Ask An Attorney program gives you unlimited consultations with a vetted immigration attorney, for just $24 a month. Get started today!

Boundless — for people who want the expertise
of an immigration lawyer, not the price tag.