Skip Main Navigation

Do I have to use a professional translator?

Oct 27, 2021

Ask an immigration attorney

Do I have to use a professional translator?

For a document to be considered “certified,” the person who translated it into English must write a formal letter stating that they:

  • Are qualified to translate the document because they are competent in both English and the document’s original language.
  • Translated the document accurately and completely to the best of their abilities.

In addition, the letter must include the following information about the translator:

  • Full name
  • Address
  • Signature
  • Date they wrote the letter

The green card applicant must submit this certification letter with the translations and photocopies of the untranslated documents. Learn more here about translating documents into English.

Boundless — for people who want the expertise
of an immigration lawyer, not the price tag.