Definition of Heterotroph
An organism which requires an external supply of energy in the form of food as it cannot synthesize its own.
Examples of Heterotroph in the following topics:
- HeterotrophsA heterotroph is an organism that, unlike an autotroph, cannot fix carbon and uses organic carbon for growth.
- PhotoheterotrophsPhotoheterotrophs are a type of heterotroph.
- ChemoheterotrophsChemoheterotrophs are a type of heterotroph.
- Nitrogen is important for heterotroph survival, but it must first be degraded into basic building blocks, such as amino acids, in order to be used.
- Photoheterotrophs A heterotroph is an organism that depends on organic matter already produced by other organisms for its nourishment.
- Some species may oxidize hydrogen sulfide to elemental sulfur as a supplemental source of energy (facultatively litho-heterotroph).