Watching this resources will notify you when proposed changes or new versions are created so you can keep track of improvements that have been made.
Favoriting this resource allows you to save it in the “My Resources” tab of your account. There, you can easily access this resource later when you’re ready to customize it or assign it to your students.
Marx focuses on explaining class conflict due to the means of production, which he posited was the driving force behind social evolution.
Discuss how Marx describes means, relations, and modes of production
Relate Marx's concept of class to his view of historical change
Marx sees society evolving through stages. He focuses on dialectical class conflict to control the means of production as the driving force behind social evolution.
According to Marx, society evolves through different modes of production in which the upper class controls the means of production and the lower class is forced to provide labor.
In Marx's dialectic, the class conflict in each stage necessarily leads to the development of the next stage (for example, feudalism leads to capitalism).
Marx was especially critical of capitalism and foresaw a communist revolution.
The bourgeoisie try to preserve capitalism by promoting ideologies and false consciousness that keep workers from revolting. Marx predicted that class conflict between the bourgeoisie and the proletariat would lead to capitalism's downfall.
According to Marx, under capitalism, workers (the proletariat) must alienate their labor.
The bourgeoisie try to preserve capitalism by promoting ideologies and false consciousness that keep workers from revolting.
Marx's understanding of history is called historical materialism because it focuses on history and material (versus ideas).
For Marx, society was characterized by class conflict. In the United States, class conflict periodically comes to the forefront of public awareness. For instance, the Occupy Wall Street movement has emphasized class conflict by highlighting wealth disparities between the richest 1 percent of the population and the remaining 99 percent, many of whom are currently encumbered by debt. The movement faces the significant hurdle of uniting the so-called 99 percent.
For Marx, society was characterized by class conflict. In the United States, class conflict periodically comes to the fore of public awareness. For instance, the Occupy Wall Street movement has emphasized class conflict by highlighting wealth disparities between the richest 1% of the population and the remaining 99%, much of which is currently encumbered by debt. The movement faces the significant hurdle of uniting the so-called 99%.
Marx argued that establishing class solidarity was difficult because most people were blind to their true class position. Instead, they embraced a false consciousness composed of ideology disseminated by the ruling class. In his book, What's the Matter with Kansas, Thomas Frank describes the modern political situation in the United States by referring to this concept. According to Frank, rural voters in the United States (like in Kansas) tend to vote against their economic interests. Although many of these voters are poor and in debt and would benefit from more liberal economic policy, they vote for fiscally conservative Republicans because Republican ideology has duped them into prioritizing cultural issues over their economic interests.
Marx, one of the principle architects of modern social science, believed that history was made of up stages driven by class conflict. Famously, Marx wrote in The Communist Manifesto, "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles. " Class struggle pushed society from one stage to the next, in a dialectical process. In each stage, an ownership class controls the means of production while a lower class provides labor for production. The two classes come into conflict and that conflict leads to social change. For example, in the feudal stage, feudal lords owned the land used to produce agricultural goods, while serfs provided the labor to plant, raise, and harvest crops. When the serfs rose up and overthrew the feudal lords, the feudal stage ended and ushered in a new stage: capitalism.
Means of Production, Relations of Production
According to Marx, the way society is organized depends on the current means of production and who owns them. The means of production include things that are necessary to produce material goods, such as land and natural resources. They also include technology, such as tools or machines, that people use to produce things. The means of production in any given society may change as technology advances. In feudal society, means of production might have included simple tools like a shovel and hoe. Today, the means of production include advanced technology, such as microchips and robots.
At different stages in history, different groups have controlled the means of production. In feudal times, feudal lords owned the land and tools used for production. Today, large corporations own many of the means of production. Different stages have different relations of production, or different forms of social relatinoships that people must enter into as they acquire and use the means of production. Throughout history, the relations of production have taken a variety of forms—slavery, feudalism, capitalism—in which employees enter into a contract with an employer to provide labor in exchange for a wage.
Modes of Production
Together, the means of production and the relations of production compose a particular period's mode of production. Marx distinguished different historical eras in terms of their different modes of production. He believed that the mode of production was the defining element of any period in history, and he called this economic structure the base of that society. By contrast, he believed that the ideas and culture of a given stage were derived from the mode of production. He referred to ideas and culture as the "superstructure," which grew up from the more fundamental economic "base. " Because of his focus on the economic base over culture and ideas, Marx is often referred to as an economic determinist.
In Marx's dialectic, the class conflict in each stage necessarily leads to the development of the next stage.
Marx was less interested in explaining the stable organization of any given historical stage than in explaining how society changed from one stage to the next. Marx believed that the class conflict present in any stage would necessarily lead to class struggle and, eventually, to the end of that stage and the beginning of the next. Feudalism ended with class struggle between serfs and lords, and gave rise to a new stage, capitalism.
Instabilities in Capitalism
Marx's work focused largely on explaining the inherent instabilities present in capitalism and predicting its eventual fall and transition to socialism. Marx argued that capitalism was unstable and prone to periodic crises. Marx believed that economic growth would be punctuated by increasingly severe crises as capitalism went through cycles of growth, collapse, and more growth. Moreover, he believed that in the long-term this process would necessarily enrich and empower the capitalist class, while at the same time it would impoverish the poorer laboring class, which he referred to as the proletariat.
Eventually, the proletariat would become class conscious—aware that their seemingly individual problems were created by an economic system that disadvantaged all those who did not own the means of production. Once the proletariat developed a class consciousness, Marx believed, they would rise up and seize the means of production, overthrowing the capitalist mode of production, and bringing about a socialist society. Marx believed that the socialist system established after the proletariat revolution would encourage social relations that would benefit everyone equally, abolish the exploitative capitalist, ending their exclusive ownership of the means of production, and introduce a system of production less vulnerable to cyclical crises. For Marx, this eventual uprising was inevitable, given the inherent structural contradictions in capitalism and the inevitability of class conflict .
Marx's Communist Manifesto Illustrated by Cartoons
The Communist Manifesto gives an overview of Marx's theory of class conflict and embraces his position that sociologists should also be publicly active social critics. In this video, the test of the manifesto is illustrated with cartoon clips that demonstrate the deep and enduring legacy of Marx's philosophy for modern culture.
The ownership of the means of production by the ruling class in any given historical period, The relations of production found in Feudalism and early capitalist societies, The inherent structural contradictions in capitalism and the inevitability of class conflict, and The combination of relations of production and means of production in any given historical period
The upper classes ultimately determine the course of history due to their power and influence, Capitalism accelerated historical change since class conflict only occurs in capitalist societies, Throughout history, the bourgeoisie has always been the most important force of social change, and Class conflict necessarily leads to class struggle, which is the main force in history