Definition of USS Maine
A United States battleship which exploded in Havana harbor due to unknown causes in 1898. Popular opinion, incited by sensationalist journalism, blamed the Spanish for the explosion. Its destruction thus helped precipitate the Spanish-American War.
Examples of USS Maine in the following topics:
- After the mysterious sinking of the American USS Maine in Havana harbor, political pressures from the Democratic Party forced Republican President William McKinley's administration into a war he had wished to avoid.
- During the administration of William McKinley, the USS Maine was sent to Havana on a “courtesy visit”, designed to remind the Spanish of American concern over the rough-handling of the insurrection.
- The Maine was probably destroyed by an accidental internal explosion, but most Americans believed the Spanish were responsible.
- On February 15, 1898, the battleship USS Maine exploded in Havana Harbor.
- In 1898, the American battleship USS Maine was destroyed by an explosion in the Cuban Harbor of Havana.