Skip Main Navigation
Better Business Bureau
Business of the Year

Visa Guide:
How to move from
Ghana to the U.S.

Find your visa

Boundless is your best bet at immigration success.

Get personalized support as you move from Ghana to the U.S.

Marriage Green Card

Start Now

K-1 Fiancé Visa

Start Now

Boundless has helped many families from Ghana over the last year. We've helped over 70,000 families in the last decade.

Here's how to apply for specific visas, contact the U.S. embassy in Ghana, and more:

K-1 Fiancé Visa

General process

Looking to apply for a K-1 fiancé visa? The general K-1 visa process looks the same for Ghanaian citizens as it does for applicants from other countries. More information on K-1 wait times, costs, and requirements can be found in Boundless’ K-1 guide. Here’s a more detailed breakdown of K-1 costs and processing times:

Timeline for Ghanaian applicants

K1 Visa Timeline

Cost for Ghanaian applicants

K-1 Visa Cost

Marriage-Based Green Cards

General Process

If you and your partner are already married, or considering marriage soon, you may be thinking about applying for a marriage-based green card. Similar to the K-1 visa, the marriage-based green card process is standard for Ghanaian citizens. Wait times, costs, and requirements differ depending on where the Ghanaian spouse lives and whether the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. More information can be found in Boundless’ marriage-based green card guide. Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the costs and processing times for your specific situation:

Timeline for Ghanaian applicants

Marriage Green Card Timeline

Cost for Ghanaian applicants

Marriage Green Card Cost

Which Visa is Right for Me?

Fiance Visa vs Spouse Visa

Immigrating with Children

K-2 Visas

Looking to immigrate from Ghana with your children? If you’re going the K-1 visa route, the K-2 visa may be a good option for your family. The K-2 visa can be used by the children of a K-1 fiancé visa holder to enter the United States and immigrate with their parent at the same time.

Boundless can help you include any unmarried children under the age of 21 on your K-1 fiancé visa application for no extra charge. Learn more about what we do to help.

IR-2 Child Visas

If you’re a U.S. citizen and your child is living in Ghana, it may be possible to sponsor them for a green card through the IR-2 child visa process. More information on the process and requirements can be found in Boundless’ IR-2 guide.

Boundless can help you include your children on your green card application for just $450 per child. Check your family’s eligibility here.

U.S. Embassy Information

All immigrant visa applications in Ghana are processed at the U.S. Embassy in Accra:

U.S. Embassy Ghana

No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra

P.O. Box GP 2288

Accra, Ghana

Phone: +233 (0) 30 274 1000

Special Considerations

marriage and K-1 visa eligibility

It is important to note that in order to be eligible for a K-1 visa, a couple must be unmarried at the time of applying and at the time of the visa interview. Due to marriage customs in Ghana, the U.S. State Department  clarifies the following for couples where the foreign-born partner is Ghanaian:

“Many marriages in Ghana are performed under customary law, and written records are kept only if the couple chooses to register their marriage with the local registrar. Sometimes, individuals misconstrue the traditional marriage ceremony as only an engagement ceremony. However, under Ghanaian marriage law, once a “bride price” has been paid as part of an engagement ceremony, a traditional marriage has taken place and is lawful regardless of whether it has been registered”.

If a traditional marriage has already occurred (despite whether it has been registered with the government), then the couple is ineligible to apply for a K-1 visa and must go the marriage green card (spousal visa) route instead.

Additional Resources

Boundless Africa Facebook Page

Family-based Immigration – Embassy Information

Fiancé Visa – Embassy Information

General Embassy Information

Civil Documents – Reciprocity Schedule

Here's why Ghanaian families are choosing Boundless:

Need help finding the right family visa for you?

Start by browsing Boundless' immigration services.

Find the best visa for you