Skip Main Navigation

The Benefits of a K-1 Visa

Weighing the benefits of a K-1 fiancé(e) visa

A K-1 visa allows the foreign-born fiancé of a U.S. citizen to come to the United States to get married. This visa, while legally classified as a non-immigrant visa, is a pathway to legal residency. K-1 visa holders can adjust their status to become a lawful permanent resident and obtain a green card after getting married.

This guide looks at the benefits of the K-1 visa, as well as other things to consider.

In this guide, you’ll learn:

For just $1290, Boundless can help you put together all required K-1 forms and documents and help you submit them to the government. Start your application today!

Want answers on cost, wait time, and required documents?
Boundless is your K-1 partner from start to finish

What Are the Benefits of a K-1 Visa?

  • The K-1 visa allows you to reunite sooner with your partner compared to a marriage green card — the K-1 typically takes 7 months compared to 10-13 months for the spousal visa.
  • The K-1 visa is a relatively quick pathway to lawful permanent resident status. A green card enables the holder to live in the United States and legally seek employment.
  • The K-1 visa allows the couple to hold their wedding in the United States. Anywhere from Niagara Falls, New York to Napa, California is an option.
  • Once the K-1 visa holder files to adjust their status, they can also request travel documents and work visas while the green card request is processing.
  • You’ll be well-prepared for your green card application, since there is significant overlap with the K-1 visa application.
  • K-1 visas are available for all couples, including same sex couples. This is especially helpful for couples where the foreign fiancé lives in a country that bans same sex marriage.

Not sure if you qualify for a K-1 visa? Check your eligibility today.

Other Things to Know

Here are a few things to keep in mind when considering whether or not to apply for a K-1 visa:

  • The couple must be able to demonstrate that they have met at least once in person in the two years prior to filing for a K-1 visa.
  • The couple must get married within 90 days of the foreign partner’s arrival in the United States. If they fail to do so, the foreign partner will need to leave the country and return home.
  • A foreign-born fiancé cannot marry a different U.S. citizen after entering the country on a K-1 visa.

If you’re feeling unsure about whether to apply for a K-1 visa versus a marriage green card, Boundless has put together a detailed guide comparing the two options.

Not sure what to expect for your K-1 journey? Boundless’ support goes beyond document preparation. Get detailed updates and personalized guidance from our team of specialists and seamless tracking of your application progress. We stay with you even after your visa gets approved. Get started today!