Skip Main Navigation

What if I Need to Reschedule my Interview After the Medical Exam?

Apr 7, 2021

Boundless Ask an Immigration Attorney

What happens if something comes up in my medical exam and I need to reschedule my interview?

The National Visa Center (NVC) will generally terminate a case if they receive no contact from the applicant or petitioner for one year.

Join thousands of readers.

Subscribe now to never miss a beat in immigration news!

It is possible for applicants to reschedule their immigrant visa interview appointments through the U.S. government site

It may also be possible to change your appointment date through USTravelDocs by canceling the current appointment, and then going through the appointment scheduling process again.

Can I travel outside of the United States before my green card arrives?

A Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR, aka green card holder) may re-enter the United States with a valid Alien Documentation Identification and Telecommunication (ADIT) Stamp. It is also called an I-551 stamp, and it is temporary proof of lawful permanent resident status.

Generally speaking, LPRs can get an ADIT stamp at a USCIS Field Office by scheduling an appointment through the USCIS Contact Center. To get in touch with a Tier 2 USCIS representative, an LPR can dial 800-375-5283 to access automated information through an interactive menu 24 hours a day, seven days a week. LPRs can get live help from a USCIS representative Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern, except on federal holidays. The USCIS representative will typically only speak to the applicant or the sponsor, and they will need to have their receipt numbers available so the representative can verify their identity.

The Field Office asks that LPRs please bring (2) passport style photos OR a valid passport with them to the appointment.

Do you have an immigration question? Boundless can help! Our Ask An Attorney program gives you consultations with a vetted immigration attorney, for just $79. Get started today!

Boundless — for people who want the expertise
of an immigration lawyer, not the price tag.