Introducing: B1B2 Travel Visas By Boundless
Take our approval odds quiz to get started

Skip Main Navigation

How do I update my address with USCIS if I haven’t received my receipt number?

A Boundless attorney answers common immigration questions

Feb 16, 2022

HOW do I update my address with USCIS if I haven’t received my receipt number?

It’s not possible for applicants to update their address with USCIS before receipt notices arrive, which is usually about 3-6 weeks after an application is submitted. This is because receipt notices contain tracking information, called receipt numbers, so USCIS can locate the case in their system.

If an applicant has to move while waiting for receipt notices to arrive, it is generally a good idea to set up mail forwarding. However, there is still a chance a notice from USCIS might not make it through.

Fortunately, receipt numbers can be sent as text messages as well as physical notices if the applicant submits a special Form, G-1145, e-Notification of Application, or Petition Acceptance.

As soon as the receipt numbers are received, applicants can update their address with USCIS online. If the physical notices do not arrive, they can be requested online as well.

Applicants can also call USCIS at 1-800-375-5283 to change their address by phone. And remember, USCIS requires all applicants and beneficiaries to notify them of a change in address within 10 days of moving.

Have legal immigration questions? Get them answered by independent attorneys in our network for just $49.