Skip Main Navigation

Which is faster: K-1 or marriage visa?


Typically, a K-1 fiancé(e) visa allows for quicker entry into the United States, whereas a marriage-based visa (also called a spouse visa) accelerates the green card process. 

In 2024, the processing time for a K-1 visa application (Form I-129F) is 11-17 and the processing time for a CR-1 spousal green card is 10.8. 

Nonetheless, the CR1 visa may be a more economical choice for a foreign spouse seeking a green card. Once approved, it allows the foreign spouse to enter the U.S. already possessing a green card. In contrast, couples who marry in the U.S. under a K-1 visa must subsequently file for an adjustment of status to obtain a marriage-based green card.

Answered by a Boundless Immigration Expert

Boundless can help you determine which option is best, and apply with confidence based on your unique situation. Start now

Learn about the differences between a CR1 marriage visa and a fiancé visa

Premium immigration support without the high price tag. Browse our services.

Our Services