Skip Main Navigation

Can I get married before my K-1 visa is approved?


Yes, you can get married before your K-1 visa is approved.

However, you should note that the K-1 visa is specifically designed for unmarried couples who plan to marry within 90 days of the foreign partner entering the United States. If you get married before the K-1 visa is approved, you need to switch to applying for the spousal visa (CR-1) rather than the fiancé visa (K-1) petition. 

It’s essential to follow USCIS guidelines and get guidance from an immigration attorney if you plan on getting married while your I-129F petition is still in progress, or if you have any questions about your visa status.

Explore Boundless 

Answered by a Boundless Immigration Expert

Have more K-1 visa questions? Get reliable answers from Boundless

Check eligibility