Skip Main Navigation

Which documents do I need to get translated?

Aug 25, 2021

Ask an immigration attorney

Which documents do I need to get translated?

All marriage green card supporting documents must be translated into English.

Although the government requires a translated document to be “certified,” it does not require the person performing the translation to be officially credentialed in translation services. In other words, the translator doesn’t need to be a professional, just competent in English and the foreign language in which the document was originally written.

Join thousands of readers.

Subscribe now to never miss a beat in immigration news!

While current immigration law allows applicants (and sponsors, if applicable) to be their own translators, the decision to accept a “certified” translation is always at the discretion of the immigration officer reviewing the documents. To avoid delays or complications applicants typically use professional translation services to translate documents.

Check out this resource article for more information about translating immigration documents.

Boundless — for people who want the expertise
of an immigration lawyer, not the price tag.