IR-2 Child Visa: Frequently Asked Questions

Boundless answers some of the most frequently asked questions about the IR-2 visa process

Nov 2, 2020

Boundless answers the most common questions about the IR-2 visa, including who is eligible, how the application process works, and how to prepare for the visa interview. Learn more about the IR-2 child visa here.

What is an IR-2 visa?

The IR-2 visa allows the child of a U.S. citizen to legally immigrate to the United States. The IR-2 visa is also used when a U.S. citizen adopts a child from abroad.

What are the IR-2 visa requirements?

For a full list of IR-2 visa requirements, head over here.

How do I apply for an IR-2 visa for my child?

The first step is for the sponsoring parent to file Form I-130 (officially called the “Petition for Alien Relative”).

Want to sign up for our weekly newsletter covering all things immigration?

Enter your email below.

When the petition is granted, the sponsor will need to fill out form DS-260 (the green card application) and send it to the National Visa Center (NVC). Once the NVC processes the application, it will be sent to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where the child lives. The embassy or consulate will then schedule an interview for the child.

Learn more about the IR-2 visa process here.

How do we prepare for the visa interview?

If the child is under 18 years of age, they will need to be accompanied by a guardian. Note this does not need to be the biological parent.

The child will be asked questions about their relationship to the sponsoring parent, in order to verify the parent-child relationship. Find a full list of what to bring to the visa interview here.

Will my child be eligible for U.S. citizenship?

If your child enters the United States on their IR-2 visa before their 18th birthday, with the intention of living there permanently, they are automatically granted U.S. citizenship.

Read our in-depth IR-2 child visa guide for more common questions, and head over to our IR-2 visa partner RapidVisa today for help putting together all required forms and documents, starting at $499.

Boundless — for people who want the expertise
of an immigration lawyer, not the price tag.