Skip Main Navigation

K-1 Fiancé Visa: Frequently Asked Questions

Boundless answers some of the most frequently asked questions about the K-1 visa process

Oct 15, 2020

A K-1 visa — also known as a fiancé visa — allows the foreign partner of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States to get married. Boundless answers some of the most frequently asked questions about the K-1 visa process.

Need help applying for your K-1 visa? Check your eligibility and get started on your application today!

Want to sign up for our weekly newsletter covering all things immigration?

Enter your email below.

What are the fiancé visa requirements?

The K-1 visa is available to fiancés of U.S. citizens living outside of the United States. Learn more about the K-1 visa requirements here.

How much does a fiancé visa cost?

The government filing fee to apply for Form 129F (officially called “The Petition for Alien fiancé) is $535. The foreign partner will also need to pay $265 at their K-1 visa interview, which brings the total to $800. Note this does not include the cost of the medical exam, which typically costs $200 or more.

How long does it take to get a fiancé visa?

It takes around 7 months for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to process Form I-129F, and an additional 4-6 weeks to receive an interview request at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

When does the interviewing officer make a decision about the application?

The interviewing officer will typically make a decision either the same day of the interview or shortly afterward. If they need additional evidence, they will request that it be sent to the U.S. embassy or consulate.

How soon do I need to travel to the United States once my fiancé visa is approved?

Once the K-1 visa is approved, the sponsored fiancé must travel to the United States within six months from the date of approval of the initial I-129F form.

How soon must the engaged couple get married once the foreign partner enters the United States?

The foreign partner must marry their U.S. citizen partner within 90 days of entering the United States, or they will need to depart the country.

Can I apply for a marriage green card after getting married?

Once the couple gets married in the United States, the U.S. citizen spouse is able to sponsor their partner for a marriage-based green card.

If this process seems complicated, we’ve got you covered. We know that every couple is unique, so we track your application progress from K-1 to green card and securely store your information and documents, so you can navigate each stage with confidence. Returning Boundless K-1 customers even get 12% off when they stick with us for the marriage green card process. Check your eligibility and get started today.

Want answers on cost, wait time, and required documents?
Boundless is your K-1 partner from start to finish