The B-1/B2 Interview
When applying for a travel visa, you will need to attend a visa interview before your B1/B2 visa is granted. The interview can be a stressful part of the process, but don’t worry! With a little preparation, you can go in feeling confident and ready to answer the consular officer’s questions.
The officer’s main goal is to ensure you are planning only a temporary visit to the United States and that you intend to return to your home country after your visit. As for the questions, these will vary depending on the officer, but they will likely ask you about the purpose and duration of your trip, and how you are paying for it.
This guide will go over the most common questions asked during a B-1/B-2 travel visa interview.
Boundless helps you complete your B-1/B-2 visa application and prepare for your travel visa interview with confidence. Our team is trained by a former consular officer, so we know what it takes to succeed. Learn more.
Start planning your immigration journey today with Boundless.
Sample B-1/B-2 Interview Questions
The following are sample questions you might encounter during your B1/B2 travel visa interview. The interview generally is short, and typically only lasts a few minutes.
- What is your purpose for visiting the United States?
- How long do you plan to stay in the United States?
- Do you have family or friends already in the United States?
- What will you be doing during your stay in the United States?
economic and social ties to home country
This portion of the interview is very important. If the consular officer isn’t convinced that you have sufficient financial support or lack the economic resources to pay for your trip, your visa will be denied.
- Do you have any ties to your home country that will guarantee your return at the end of your visit?
- Who is paying for your trip?
- Who will be traveling with you?
- Do you live with anyone here in your country? What are their jobs and have they traveled to the U.S. before?
immigration history and eligibility
- Have you ever been denied a visa before or had any immigration difficulties?
- Have you traveled outside your country to any other destination recently?