Skip Main Navigation
Better Business Bureau
Business of the Year

Visa Guide:
How to move from
Mexico to the U.S.

Find your visa

Boundless is your best bet at immigration success.

Get personalized support as you move from Mexico to the U.S.

Marriage Green Card

Start Now

K-1 Fiancé Visa

Start Now

Boundless helped nearly 300 families from Mexico last year. We've helped over 70,000 families in the last decade.

Here's how to apply for specific visas, contact the U.S. embassy in Mexico, and more:

In this guide:

1. K-1 Fiancé Visa
2. Marriage-Based Green Cards
3. Immigrating with Children
4. U.S. Embassy Information
5. Special Considerations
6. Additional Resources

K-1 Fiancé Visa

General process

Looking to apply for a K-1 fiancé visa? The general K-1 visa process looks the same for Mexican applicants as it does for applicants from other countries. More information on K-1 wait times, costs, and requirements can be found in Boundless’ K-1 guide. Here’s a more detailed breakdown of K-1 costs and processing times:

Timeline for Mexican applicants

Cost for mexican applicants

Marriage-Based Green Cards

General Process

If you and your partner are already married, or considering marriage soon, you may be thinking about applying for a marriage-based green card. Similar to the K-1 visa, the marriage-based green card process is standard for Mexican applicants. Wait times, costs, and requirements differ depending on where the Mexican-born spouse lives and whether the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. More information can be found in Boundless’ marriage-based green card guide. Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the costs and processing times for your specific situation:

Timeline for Mexican applicants

Cost for mexican applicants

Which Visa is Right for Me?

Immigrating with Children

K-2 Visas

Looking to immigrate from Mexico with your children? If you’re going the K-1 visa route, the K-2 visa may be a good option for your family. The K-2 visa can be used by the children of a K-1 fiancé visa holder to enter the United States and immigrate with their parent at the same time.

Boundless can help you include any unmarried children under the age of 21 on your K-1 fiancé visa application for no extra charge. Learn more about what we do to help.

IR-2 Child Visas

If you’re a U.S. citizen and your child is living in Mexico, it may be possible to sponsor them for a green card through the IR-2 child visa process. More information on the process and requirements can be found in Boundless’ IR-2 guide.

Boundless can help you include your children on your green card application for just $450 per child. Check your family’s eligibility here.

U.S. Embassy Information

All immigrant visa applications in Mexico are processed at the Immigrant Visa Unit of the U.S. Consulate General, Ciudad Juarez:

U.S. Consulate General

Paseo de la Victoria #3650

Fracc. Partido Senecu

Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico C.P. 32543

For immigrant visa interviews, applicants are required to follow the instructions to log in and to schedule an appointment at any of the Applicant Service Centers (ASCs) in Mexico. Each applicant is required to appear in person at the ASC prior to the consular appointment date.

All K-1 visa applications (and other non-immigrant visas) are currently processed at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City:

U.S. Embassy Mexico City

Paseo de la Reforma 305

Colonia Cuauhtemoc 06500

Mexico City, Mexico

Special Considerations

supporting documents

When applying for immigrant visas, Mexican applicants are required to submit civil documents in specific formats. Birth, marriage, divorce, and death certificates must be issued by the appropriate government authority in order to be considered valid for immigration purposes. For example, Baptismal certificates issued by religious authorities are not considered by the Mexican government or U.S. government to be official documents for immigration purposes. It is also important to note that the only travel documents issued by Mexican authorities that are considered acceptable for U.S. visa issuance are Mexican passports and Identity and Travel Document (Documento de Identidad y Viaje) issued by “SRE” (Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs). In addition to these travel documents, certified copies of most civil documents in Mexico can be obtained at the Civil Registry Office.

More general information on supporting documents for Mexican applicants can be found here.

immigrant visa approval steps

All Mexican immigrant visa applicants must select a DHL courier office location where they would like to receive their approved visa. If approved, the applicant will not receive a letter or any document at the interview, and instead will only receive their visa packet at the previously selected DHL courier office later on. Once approved, applicants may enter the United States through any Port of Entry. However, if they have a medical “Class B TB” annotation on their visa, and they plan to enter through the El Paso Port of Entry, they must enter via the Cordova bridge. Applicants in this situation will receive specific instructions with their visa.

k-1 visa to green card options

After arriving in the U.S., Mexican K-1 visa holders have the option of either returning to the U.S. Consulate General, Ciudad Juarez to file for a green card or filing with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) from within the United States (through a process known as “adjustment of status”). More information on the differences between applying from outside of the U.S. and filing an adjustment of status can be found in Boundless’ guide.

TN Visas

If you’re interested in working in the U.S., but not sure of your work visa options, the TN visa may be a good option for you. TN (Trade NAFTA) status is a nonimmigrant employment visa which allows Mexican citizens who work in specific professional occupations to work in the U.S..

TN visas allow qualified Mexican citizens to live and work in the United States, as long as their U.S. job offer falls under a list of NAFTA professions. TN status is valid for up to three years, with possibilities for renewal. For more information on how to qualify and apply for a TN visa, check out Boundless’ TN guide.

Tourist Visa Options

For short-term travel in the U.S., Mexican citizens can often apply for a tourist visa to enter and remain in the country for a certain period of time. The B-1/B-2 tourist visa is a temporary, non-immigrant visa that allows individuals to travel to the U.S. for either business or tourism purposes. If you’re interested in traveling to the U.S., it is important to understand tourist visa eligibility requirements and the application process overall.

If you need additional information on cost, wait time, and required documents for the B1/B2 Visitor Visa, Boundless and our partner company RapidVisa can help. Learn more about how we guide you through the tourist visa process.

financial considerations

Moving to the U.S. and navigating a different financial system can be a challenge. Boundless put together some helpful finance tips and resources for new immigrants in the U.S. in our financial guide.

Our financial guide provides information on establishing your financial footprint in the U.S., such as how to conduct banking services in the U.S. and how to build credit and obtain credit cards. You can also find helpful tips for filing taxes and obtaining health insurance coverage as a new immigrant.

Additional Resources

Boundless Mexico Facebook Page

Spanish Immigration Guides

Family-based Immigration – Embassy Information

Immigrant Visa Support – Embassy Information

Civil Documents – Reciprocity Schedule

Here's why Mexican families are choosing Boundless:

Need help finding the right family visa for you?

Start by browsing Boundless' immigration services.

Find the best visa for you