Skip Main Navigation

How to Change Status From an L-1 Visa to an Employment Green Card

Learn the process, timeline, and other important steps for changing from an L-1 to a green card

A popular work visa program in the U.S. is the L-1 visa, designed for intracompany transferees. As L-1 visa holders contribute their expertise to U.S. companies, it’s common for them and their sponsoring employers to explore opportunities for long-term immigration. Although the L-1 is considered a non-immigrant visa, there are still paths available for L-1 visa holders to pursue employment-based green cards.

In this guide for L-1 visa holders and their sponsoring employers, we’ll explain the process of transitioning from an L-1 visa to an employment-based green card.

Access our unified solutions online, anytime, anywhere. Schedule a demo.

Get started

L-1 Visa Basics

Before delving into the green card application process, it’s crucial to understand the basics of the L-1 visa. The L-1 visa is divided into two categories: L-1A for managers and executives, and L-1B for employees with specialized knowledge. L-1 visa holders are typically employed by multinational companies, with the visa facilitating their transfer to a U.S. office.

Boundless Tip

Learn more details about the L-1 visa in Boundless’ guide.

Employment-Based Green Card Options for L-1 Visa Holders

To obtain a green card, L-1 visa holders and their sponsoring employers must choose the most suitable employment-based immigrant category. This is determined by the L-1 visa holders position, skill set, educational background, as well as the details of the sponsoring employer. 

Depending on these various factors mentioned above, some green card categories that L-1 visa holders may be eligible for include:

In the next section, we’ll cover the step-by-step process on how to apply for these various employment immigration categories.

L-1 to Employment-Based Green Card Process

Here is the a general overview of the step-by-step process to transition from an L-1 visa to an employment green card:

1. PERM Labor Certification (if applicable): Some employment-based green card categories require employers to obtain a labor certification (PERM) from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). NOTE: This step is required for the EB-2 and EB-3 categories, but is generally not required for those applying for the EB-1C visa.

2. File Immigrant Petition (Form I-140): The sponsoring employer must file Form I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form establishes the eligibility of the L-1 visa holder for a green card.

3. Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing: L-1 visa holders living in the U.S. can apply for a green card through the adjustment of status process (Form I-485). Those outside the U.S. will apply via consular processing at the U.S. Embassy or consulate in their country of residence. This involves filing the DS-260 (Immigrant Visa Electronic Application).


Form I-140 has a $715 filing fee, typically paid by the employer. Some employers also opt for “premium processing” of Form I-140, which comes with an additional $2805 fee. 

For applicants applying from within the U.S., Form I-485 costs $1440. There is also a biometrics appointment fee of $85. 

For applicants applying from outside the U.S., the DS-260 costs $325.


For Form I-140, the current processing time is around 4 months, according to historic processing times data from USCIS. Employers that opt for premium processing will receive a decision on Form I-140 typically within 15 days. 

The average processing time for Form I-485 (for employment-based green card applications) is currently 7.5 to 32.5 months. 

Keep in mind that processing times may vary based on the applicant’s specific situation and where they live.

Additional Articles

Boundless Reviews

Ready to cross immigration off your to do list?

Get in contact with us to get a demo of Boundless and see how we can help you with your strategy to hire international talent.

"*" indicates required fields