Form I-130A, Explained

What is the supplemental information form and who needs to complete it?

What is the I-130A form?

The I-130A (technically called the “Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary”) is a separate supporting form that must be filed along with any marriage-based I-130 petition. USCIS uses the I-130A to gather essential background information about the spouse seeking a green card—focusing on his or her last five years of residence history and employment history.

The person filing the I-130 is called the “petitioner” or “sponsor.” This person is the U.S. citizen or green card holder. The person seeking a green card is called the “beneficiary” is the person filling out the I-130A.

Form I 130A

Download form I-130A (PDF) directly from USCIS. Or fill it out the easy way with Boundless. Try it out now!

Who needs to fill out the I-130A?

The spouse seeking a marriage-based green card must complete an I-130A and include it with a the I-130 petition. Spouses who are present in the United States must sign the I-130A. Spouses who are outside the United States must still complete and file the I-130A, but they aren’t required to sign it.

Who doesn’t need to complete the I-130A?

Since the I-130A is required specifically for the marriage-based green card process, it’s not necessary for those filing an I-130 petition for other kinds of family members (children, parents, etc.).

Frequently asked I-130A questions

How much does it cost?

There is no fee associated with the I-130A. It is a form that purely supports the I-130 petition (which does have a fee associated with it).

How long does it take?

The I-130A will be processed by USCIS along with the I-130 petition. There is no additional or separate processing time for the I-130A. (For the full timeline of the entire marriage-based green card process, click here.)

How should I submit the I-130A?

The I-130A is filed along with the I-130 petition, and should be sent to the same place all in one package. Where you should mail your I-130 petition depends on where you live and whether you are filing just an I-130 (officially a “standalone” I-130) or an I-130 along with an I-485 green card application (technically called a “concurrent filing”). USCIS provides a chart with all the different scenarios.

What if I don’t remember a past address?

According to the official USCIS form instructions, the I-130A should include a complete address history for the last five years, without any gaps.

If you are unable to remember a past address, there are free resources that can help:

  • is a government-endorsed site that provides up to three free credit reports per year, including a list of past addresses.
  • If you have used an online retailer for a number of years, you can check your order history for past addresses.

The I-130A isn’t a lengthy form (just 6 pages), but it’s a necessary part of any marriage-based green card application. It’s important to make sure that all the information entered in the I-130A is accurate.

Boundless — for people who want the expertise
of an immigration lawyer, not the price tag.