Skip Main Navigation

Certificate of Citizenship, Explained

A document proving the citizenship of a person who was born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parents

What is a Certificate of Citizenship?

A Certificate of Citizenship is a document proving the citizenship of a person who was born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parents. To be clear, it does not grant citizenship. It only recognizes and confirms the citizenship-status already obtained by the applicant. This certification can be very useful if, for example, you’re looking to sponsor a non-U.S. citizen relative for their green card application, or if you want to apply for a U.S. passport.

Still need to apply for U.S. citizenship? Boundless + RapidVisa can help.

Apply For Citizenship

Getting a Certificate of Citizenship

You can apply for a Certificate of Citizenship if you were born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent, or if you automatically obtained citizenship after being born but before turning 18. If you became a citizen after birth but before the age of 18, you must satisfy four basic requirements prior to your 18th birthday:

  • The child must live in the United States under the legal custody of U.S. citizen parent(s)
  • The child must be the biological offspring of their parent(s)*
  • The child must be a lawful permanent resident
  • The child’s parent(s) must be U.S. citizens

*It should be noted that, currently, adoptive children (though not stepchildren) may obtain citizenship through their U.S. citizen adoptive parent(s). Though, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), “the law in effect on the date of your birth” will determine whether this is the case.

Derivation vs. Acquisition

The child’s parent may be either a naturalized citizen or a U.S. citizen from birth. In the former case, you would say the child “derives” citizenship from the parent, while in the latter, you would say the child ”acquires” citizenship.

When a child acquires citizenship, the process is essentially automatic. Once the child is admitted into the United States, or once the process for acquiring citizenship is complete, they are officially a U.S. citizen and may apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. Note: the parent must meet certain physical presence standards, meaning they must have lived in the United States or one of its territories for a certain period of time prior to the child’s birth. (See the USCIS policy manual for a thorough breakdown of these requirements).

In the case of derivation, the child is said to obtain citizenship automatically, as long as they are a lawful permanent resident when their parent is naturalized; the child lives with their parent; and the child is below the age of 18.

Required Documents

To apply for a Certificate of Citizenship, you will need to submit Form N-600 (officially called “Application for Certificate of Citizenship”) and a number of required documents, including the following:

  • The petitioner’s birth certificate
  • The birth certificate of the U.S. parent
  • Two passport-style photos
  • Proof of parent’s (or parents’) citizenship

You will likely need to gather other documents as well. For instance, the parent(s) may need to supply a marriage certificate and proof of physical custody, and if the child was adopted, the applicant will need to include the final adoption decree. Read our guide on Form N-600 for a complete list of all the required documents.

Using the Certificate

With a Certificate of Citizenship in your possession, you can now obtain a U.S. passport, and if you’re looking to sponsor a family member for their green card application, you can use the Certificate to prove that you are indeed a citizen. This certification will most likely be accepted whenever you need to formally prove your citizenship.

Read one of our many guides on the green card application process to better understand how, with a Certificate, you can sponsor a close relative.

Replacing a Certificate of Citizenship

If, at any time, your Certificate of Citizenship is stolen, lost, destroyed, or irreparably damaged, you can file Form N-565 (officially called “Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document”) to get a new one. You can also apply to get a replacement Certificate if you find any typographical errors in the document. Similarly, if you’ve changed your name after getting married — or if you want to (and are permitted to) officially update your document to correctly reflect your gender identity — you can simply file N-565.

To replace your Certificate of Citizenship, you’ll need the following documents:

  • Two passport-style photographs
  • The original (damaged) document, if applicable
  • The original (typographically flawed) document, if applicable
  • The original document containing your previous name and any documents showing that you’ve legally changed your name, if applicable
  • The original document with your previous date of birth and any official documentation substantiating your new date of birth, if applicable
  • The original document containing the previously assigned gender and any official documents showing that your new gender identity has been legally recognized, if applicable

You may need to submit further documentation depending on your situation. For instance, if you’re updating the gender listed on your Certificate of Citizenship, you will need to provide an amended birth certificate, along with medical authorizations submitted by your physician. For a more detailed explanation of the filing process, you can read the USCIS instructions.


A Certificate of Citizenship is a document issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that serves as proof of an individual’s citizenship in the United States. It is typically granted to individuals who have acquired or derived their U.S. citizenship through birth, naturalization, or other means. The certificate can be used for official identification purposes, such as applying for a passport or other government services.

Individuals who are born in the U.S., those born abroad to US citizens, and those who have become naturalized citizens through the immigration process are all eligible to receive a Certificate of Citizenship. Each case may require additional evidence of citizenship depending on the individual’s circumstances.

In addition to a formal government seal and the USCIS director’s signature, the following items can be found on a Certificate:

  • Your photo
  • The country where you were born
  • Your residence
  • The date the certificate was issued
  • The date you became a citizen
  • Your date of birth
  • Full name
  • An alpha-numeric identifier — usually 6 to 8 digits long
  • Your signature
  • Your gender
  • Your height

To apply for a Certificate of Citizenship, applicants must complete Form N-600 and submit it to the USCIS office along with supporting documents that prove their eligibility. The application package should include additional evidence such as birth certificates, naturalization certificates, or other proof of U.S. citizenship. Applicants are also required to pay an application fee.

Once USCIS receives an application, it typically takes approximately 3 to 5 months to process and issue a Certificate of Citizenship. However, processing times may vary depending on your situation.

This will depend on whether or not you are legally recognized as the mother by the appropriate jurisdiction. If you are indeed the legally recognized mother, and you satisfy all other requirements — including the physical presence standard — then your child may be deemed a U.S. citizen at birth. Read the 2021 USCIS policy alert and Boundless blog post for a more in-depth analysis of Assisted Reproductive Technologies as they pertain to matters of citizenship and immigration.

If you automatically obtained citizenship before your parents’ divorce, you can still apply for the Certificate. If, on the other hand, you obtained citizenship after their divorce (and after being born), you will need to submit proof showing:

  • That you were in the legal custody of a U.S. citizen parent prior to your 18th birthday
  • That you were admitted into the United States as a lawful permanent resident, again, before turning 18

Note: if you were in the legal custody of a non-U.S. citizen parent during this period, you may not automatically receive citizenship status.