Skip Main Navigation

What Documents Do We Need For a K-1 Visa?

The documents you’ll need for your fiancé visa application

A K-1 visa, otherwise known as a fiancé visa, permits an engaged partner of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States. A K-1 visa holder must get married within 90 days of arriving in the country. Once married, they may then apply for a marriage green card.

In this guide, we’ll break down which documents you need for each stage of the application process.

Not sure which visa is right for you? Answer a 5-minute questionnaire and we’ll guide you through your visa options.

Get started

Full List of Required Documents

While every situation is different, in general, you’ll need the following documents when applying for a K-1 visa:

  • Proof of citizenship for the U.S. citizen fiancé
  • Copy of sponsored fiancé’s passport
  • Evidence of terminated marriages, where needed
  • Proof of meeting within 2 years of applying
  • Evidence of legal name change, where applicable
  • Sworn statements and evidence from both partners indicating their intent to marry and attesting to the legitimacy of their relationship
  • A copy of Form I-94 arrival-departure records, if applicable for sponsored fiancé
  • Evidence supporting International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA) waiver, if applicable
  • One passport-style photo for each fiancé
  • Two passport-style photos for the sponsored fiancé
  • Birth certificate for the sponsored fiancé
  • Valid, unexpired passport for sponsored fiancé
  • Police clearance obtained from countries where the sponsored fiancé lived for more than 6 months, including their country of residence
  • Sealed medical exam issued by approved physician, obtained by sponsored fiancé in their country of residence
  • Affidavit of Support (Form I-134), submitted by U.S. citizen fiancé
  • Most recent tax returns of the U.S. citizen fiancé

Not sure which visa is right for you? Answer our 5-minute questionnaire to get started.

Documents Required for Form I-129F

The U.S. citizen sponsor will, at the outset, submit Form I-129F. To gain approval from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the sponsor and their fiancé will need to collect the following documents.

I-129F Checklist

Document TypeExamples of Acceptable DocumentsWho Needs It?
Proof of U.S. CitizenshipCopy of birth certificateCopy of naturalization or citizenship certificateCopy of Consular Report of Birth AbroadCopy of unexpired U.S. passportStatement issued by consular officer attesting to your citizenshipU.S. citizen sponsor
Proof that previous marriages have endedDeath certificate(s) of any previous partner(s)Divorce decreeAnnulment orderAny fiancé who has been previously married
One color, passport-style photo for each fiancé(e)Must be obtained within 30 days of filing the Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)Both fiancés
Proof of legal name change (if necessary)Certified copy of court orderAny fiancé who has changed their name
Evidence for IMBRA waiver (if necessary)Death certificatePolice reportsNews articlesMedical reports from licensed medical professionalSee USCIS memo for more informationU.S. citizen sponsor
Signed statement and evidence that petitioners will marry within 90 days of their arrival in the United StatesWedding invitationsReceipts for wedding-related purchases (such as the venue)Both fiancés
Evidence you’ve both met in-person at least once within 2 years of filing Form I-129FFlight itinerariesHotel itinerariesCorrespondencePhotosBoth fiancés
Proof of legitimate relationshipPhotosSigned statements submitted by friends and familyCorrespondenceItineraries from trips taken togetherBoth fiancés
Form I-94 departure-arrival recordThis form can be found on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security websiteSponsored fiancé

Remember, if you do not submit the required evidence, USCIS may reject your application, so be sure to double and triple check the list. If, for whatever reason, the primary documents are not available, you may be able to submit a statement from the issuing civil authority saying the documents are not available.

You will then need to attach secondary evidence such as school records, U.S. census records, baptismal certificates, and any other evidence that supports your application. For more information, check out page 10 of the USCIS instructions for Form I-129F.

Documents Required for Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160)

After the Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) is approved, the sponsored fiancé will need to submit Form DS-160. To do that, both fiancés will need to gather several items. Below are two lists — one for the sponsored fiancé and one for the U.S. citizen sponsor.

DS-160 Checklist

Sponsored Fiancé:

  • Valid, unexpired passport
  • Two passport-style photos
  • Birth certificate
  • Sealed medical exam given by an approved physician
  • Police clearance from all countries where applicant lived for more than 6 months, including their current country of residence

U.S. Citizen Fiancé

  • Evidence of legitimate relationship, with the approved I-129F
  • Affidavit of Support (see next section for more details)
  • Most recent tax returns

The consular officer will use DS-160, and the answers provided at the interview, to determine whether the sponsored fiancé is eligible for a K-1 visa. In the final section, we’ll discuss which documents you need to bring to the interview.

Deciding between a K-1 visa or a spousal visa? Answer our 5-minute questionnaire to get started.

Documents Required for Affidavit of Support (I-134)

As part of the visa application process, the U.S. citizen sponsor will need to submit an Affidavit of Support stating they will be able to financially support their fiancé during their stay. When submitting Form I-134, the U.S. citizen sponsor will need to supply the following documents.


Starting January 29, 2024, USCIS will only accept the 11/09/2023 edition of Form I-134. Make sure to check USCIS instructions and the form for the edition date before filing.

I-134 Checklist

Document TypeRequired Documents
Proof of Bank AccountSigned statement given by bank official indicating the date you opened the account, total deposits made within the past year, and current balance
Proof of EmploymentSigned statement on business letterhead indicating your salary, the dates of your employment, the nature of your job, and whether you are a permanent or temporary employee
Proof of Federal TaxesA copy of your most recent federal tax return, or, if you’re self-employed, a report of commercial rating concern
Proof of Bonds (if applicable)List with denominations and serial numbers of bonds, and names of owners


To submit this form, you, the U.S. citizen sponsor, must meet 100% of the income level for your household size, as determined by the Federal Poverty Guidelines. For a more detailed explanation of the Affidavit of Support, check out the Boundless guide about Form I-134.

Documents Required for K-1 Visa Interview

Once form DS-160 is approved, the sponsored partner will need to schedule an interview at their local embassy or consulate. In this section, we’ll go over which documents they need to bring to their appointment.

K-1 Visa Interview Checklist

  • DS-160 confirmation page
  • Birth certificate
  • Police certificates for current country of residence and any country where sponsored fiancé(e) lived for more than 6 months
  • Evidence of financial support (the Affidavit of Support may be required)
  • Proof of relationship with U.S. citizen sponsor
  • Fee payment
  • Passport that will remain valid for at least 6 months after your arrival in the United States
  • Divorce or death certificates of previous spouses (for both fiancé(e)s)
  • Sealed medical exam
  • Two 2×2 photos

Many of these will seem familiar, as you and your partner have already collected this documentation when filling out the previous forms. So it’s important to keep all your documentary evidence organized throughout the K-1 visa application process.

Boundless Reviews